Tube Challenge Day

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here

Would you be interested in a mini-marathon of Tube Challenging?

Yes, definitely
33%
Yes, but it depends on when it is
46%
No
21%

Total votes: 24

Root
All Zones

Tube Challenge Day

Post by Root »

Okay, I had an idea for something interesting to do, perhaps this summer before I start work (soon, hopefully), and I wanted to make a thread about it to gauge interest.

I don't know if this has been done before, but I'm basically interested in something of a mini Tube Challenge marathon, involving doing lots of the minor challenges in one day. It would normally involve Zone 1, The Bottle and All-Lines, but we can substitute All-Lines for DLR while the Waterloo & City line is closed. Besides, how many of you have done that challenge before?

The programme would be something along the lines of:

1030 Meet up at Oxford Street
1100 Bottle Challenge (with or without those stations)
1400 Meet up at Shadwell for a quick lunch
1500 DLR Challenge
1800 Meet up at Shadwell again
1830 Zone 1 Challenge
2200 Meet up at the usual pub for results

We could draw the starting stations in advance, but then we lose the 'excitement' of frantic route-planning after the draw. Yes, half an hour may not be a lot of time, but if we had the usual hour for each challenge we'd be getting to the pub around midnight with no way of getting home. You'll just have to think quick :).

We could start earlier to allow more room for error, but that would force most people to use peak tickets.

So what do you think? I'll put a poll in this thread to get a good representation.

Oh, by the way, the reason I want to get a lot of Tube Challenging done before I start work is because my new employer probably won't like me doing it. Yes, I have applied for a job with a certain London Underground Limited...
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Can't say I'm interested in this.

There's too much tube challenging for the sake of it these days I feel.

What job have you applied for by the way?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Oh, just a Customer Services Assistant, in a station somewhere. A real "Station Master", me.
The interview process is so long - online application, telephone interview, English & maths tests, situational role-play, and finally a one-on-one interview. I'm past the first two hurdles.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Depending on when it is and if I can get time off work I would be up for it...
Sounds like a great idea and should be fun as well. Tube Challenging doesn't only have to be about GWR :)

Only problem I can forsee is that someone could fall behind the clock during either the bottle or DLR challenges and might not make the next leg..
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Yeah - and the last people to the pub might not have time to buy a drink before it closes!

Also, I think the DLR challenge is totally pointless. I'd rather it were an ALC without the W&C.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

CrunchySaviour wrote:Yeah - and the last people to the pub might not have time to buy a drink before it closes!

Also, I think the DLR challenge is totally pointless. I'd rather it were an ALC without the W&C.
I vote for that :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Has anyone done the DLR challange?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Nobody with City Ariport Branch- I can only think of 2 routes.
That said I Can't think of any decent routes for an ALC - W&C
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

The Raven wrote:Has anyone done the DLR challange?
standclearofthedoors wrote:Nobody with City Ariport Branch
Oi, who are you calling a nobody? :)
http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Challenge Day

Root wrote: Oh, by the way, the reason I want to get a lot of Tube Challenging done before I start work is because my new employer probably won't like me doing it. Yes, I have applied for a job with a certain London Underground Limited...
Ollie, dont mention Tube Challenging as being one of your hobbies on the interview form :wink:
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Won't you now have mates who work on the District line who can comandeer central line trains & stop them at the British Museum? :lol:
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Indeed! I could even get my mates who drive ELL trains to pay a quick visit to Shoreditch as a one-off favour for me.

Before anyone tells me how that isn't possible - ******** would make it possible. He has the power.

Regarding people falling behind - well, for the three events, I've gone with a standard time for each event and then added an hour, as follows:

Bottle Challenge - 2 hours, I've allowed 3 (I would have done this in a sub-two hour time today had the Circle line not been suspended at the last moment, the ******)
DLR Challenge - 2 hours, I've allowed 3
Zone 1 - 3 hours, I've allowed 4

Is that not reasonable? If you want, we could meet earlier, but it would be more expensive for almost everyone and would involve navigating the peak crowds twice in a day. But then, if you're hard-core enough...

Perhaps we should meet at 0900. Start at 0930, and allow an extra half hour after both the Bottle and DLR challenge for error.

We could do the ALC without the W&C, but I don't think it's a great idea. I can't see any immediately obvious routes, and it just seems a little bit pointless to me. We could always get a replacement bus though :D!
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

Totally up for this...depending on when.
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

The W&C doesn't have a replacement bus service.. does it?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Root wrote:Indeed! I could even get my mates who drive ELL trains to pay a quick visit to Shoreditch as a one-off favour for me.

Before anyone tells me how that isn't possible - ******** would make it possible. He has the power.

Regarding people falling behind - well, for the three events, I've gone with a standard time for each event and then added an hour, as follows:

Bottle Challenge - 2 hours, I've allowed 3 (I would have done this in a sub-two hour time today had the Circle line not been suspended at the last moment, the ******)
DLR Challenge - 2 hours, I've allowed 3
Zone 1 - 3 hours, I've allowed 4

Is that not reasonable? If you want, we could meet earlier, but it would be more expensive for almost everyone and would involve navigating the peak crowds twice in a day. But then, if you're hard-core enough...

Perhaps we should meet at 0900. Start at 0930, and allow an extra half hour after both the Bottle and DLR challenge for error.

We could do the ALC without the W&C, but I don't think it's a great idea. I can't see any immediately obvious routes, and it just seems a little bit pointless to me. We could always get a replacement bus though :D!

No stick with the original meeting time, would rather travel at off peak rate.
Maybe we can have a vote nearer the time as to whether we go for All Lines or DLR :D