Top Times: Zone 1 Challenge

This section now houses all the Top Times threads
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I did indeed start on the first eastbound District line, and I finished at Vauxhall on the southbound Victoria line, yes. I don't remember seeing you on the platform at all! I think that there was somebody in front of me getting off, so that probably delayed my touching of the platform. I'm happy being sixth, anyway!

At the exit, a member of staff told me that Warren Street had re-opened, so I went back down and did Warren Street again, just in case a pass-through didn't count. (I had passed through it on the Northern line about forty-five minutes before that, during the person-on-the-line business.)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

We were in the second carriage I think, lots of celebrating, high fives and then we tooks some pics. on the platform. How could you miss us :shock:
Then Zeibura came in 2 trains later....
More than happy to share 5th with you :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Absolutely no idea! It was quite an anticlimax for me, because I wasn't in a team and I was still fuming (slightly) about the Bayswater Business.

Anyway, I'm quite adamant about staying sixth, since you even found time to add a bus to your route! But it looks like this was the closest margin between teams ever, so that of course makes us famous...
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

We were looking at a huge anti-climax but I would have stayed at Pimlico all day if necessary :!:
Time wise it cost us about 17 minutes, I take it you lost more than that having to do Warren Street again :?:
But like you say we are in the history books, although I beleive 2 teams tied last year but had both taken identical routes (who was following who I wonder :shock: )
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

If you look at http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ma1jas/londonzone1.doc , then you can see my exact route. You can also see that I arrove at Vauxhall at 4:27'05"pm; was that your train (just to make sure)?

I then went up to Warren Street to do it again, getting there about fifteen minutes later. Later I checked with Chris, and it turned out that a "pass through during an emergency closure" was actually acceptable, so this extra visit to Warren Street wasn't necessary.

I had come from London Bridge on the Jubilee line, to get to Southwark. Then I could either get a South West Trains service to Vauxhall and go up to Pimlico, or stay on the Jubilee to Green Park, and get the Victoria down; obviously the latter was my choice. Do you reckon that that's the better choice, or is there very little in it?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

To stay on the Jubilee line and change at Green Park and come down southbound on the Vickie was for sure the better choice...
We had been at Vauxhall and the shutters to the Vickie line were totaly closed... Hence the Bus to Pimilico and back......
Nothing had gone Northbound before our Southbound run back to Vauxhall.......
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Has anyone got all the times from Z1C-2006 to add to the first post in this thread?
- Andrew
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I would very much like to complete the Zone 1 Times list, if anyone (CHRIS PRESSWELL) would like to send me the list of the finishers. Note that only those who actually visited all the stations will be eligible for entry into the Top Times Table!!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Oh I see, us losers aren't even good enough for a mention down the bottom are we? :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

tubeguru wrote:Oh I see, us losers aren't even good enough for a mention down the bottom are we? :-)
Nope!

Haha.

I'll get the list out when I get home tonight. Contrary to popular belief, I have been incredibly busy!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Interesting route from Starkey involving a walk (run) from Farringdon to Chancery Lane. TFL has this as 700m and 10 min walk. How long did it take Starkey and did anyone do any longer walks in the Z1C this year?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I think that it must have been about 3 minutes. I first had to catch the others up (who of course had been on the correct carriage) and then find my way. Apparently a couple of Swedes got a bit lost at that point!

The run was worth it, though, because a Central came in just as I got to the platform! I don't think that anybody else made it, although I was ready to hold the doors...

Also, I was at Bayswater (hmmm) and was contemplating running to Notting Hill Gate, but thought, "That's a six minute run, and the Circle line will come in a minute."
I didn't run. The next Circle train didn't come for twelve minutes.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The Western side of the Circle is where my team lost time too, my District line train was held at High Street Kensington for about 5 minutes (delaying the Circle line train behind it too) to allow Ourter Circle trains to cross our path! The problems of flat junctions.....
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Ditto to the last two posts. Long waits at HSK and Bayswater threw it out the window, even if I did end up holding a Central train at NHG for Pete and, erm, someone whose name I have forgotten!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

I noticed that the Farringdon - Chancery Lane run/walk had also been used by Andrew Steer "The Stanmore Rattler" in Z1 2005, link as below.

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tubechalleng ... 1/2005.htm

However as Andrew had only came 11th and having checked this also on TFL I decided it was too far for me to "run" in 2006, but I will back and super fit (or is that super fat :roll: ) in 2007, so this may enter calculations :)