Direct train from Chesham to Watford? I beg your pardon?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Direct train from Chesham to Watford? I beg your pardon?

Post by TheFatBuoy »

I thought that bend in the track just before Moor Park wasn't in use, but according to the journey planner it is. Computer says that if you leave Chesham at 0519 you can go non-stop to Watford. Not much use really though, for tube challenging purposes anyway. Dead handy if you're stuck at Chesham at 0519 wanting to get to Watford though.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The North Curve is used for a handful of services early morning and late evening between Chesham and Watford.

There are some people who have used that 05.19 from Chesham for tube challenging purposes and have failed miserably.

It's of no use to a tube challenger unless they change the rest of the timetable.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

the train you get back out of chesham when you start at amersham used to go to watford until a couple years ago, but they changed the timetable and now it goes to baker street.

wouldn't have made that much of a difference though, i've never had to wait longer than 2 minutes at moor park for that connection
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Except on Tube Relief when the connection was wowfull!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 26 Nov 2013, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

geofftech wrote:There was once the theory of starting at Chesham, taking the train to Watford .. missing out Amersham early on. Then - do the rest of the map, and then as the last train of the day - get a Chiltern Turbo out of Marylebone, FAST to Amersham and 'do' it that way - EXCEPT that it's not allowed because the CT trains use different metals to what the LU trains do - so it doesn't count.

Unless of course, you arrive on a CT in amersham in time to get a met train back OUT of amersham, in whcih case your 'final' time would be clocked at the moment that you departed from Amersham. how cool would that be!
I'm liking that idea, and about to work out a route as I type this.

Now here's taking that one step further - you could get sucker pads on your hands and feet, and attach yourself to the outside of the train just before it leaves Amersham, and as soon as it starts moving, have a person on the platform to hand, to pull you off the train (obviously one per team member would be required).

Though I've got a feeling this *might* be frowned upon.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

geofftech wrote:EXCEPT that it's not allowed because the CT trains use different metals to what the LU trains do - so it doesn't count.
that sounds perfectly legal to me, rickmansworth, chorleywood and C&L only have 2 platforms for the amersham branch and both the met line and the NR trains run on them. the only reason amersham has 4 is because it's the terminus for the met line and therefore needs to split up. by that logic, you wouldn't be able to use silverlink to do richmond.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

He's got a point.

What distinguishes Amersham from Richmond in that sense?

Member of sweet FA
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Some time ago I did ponder the idea of trying to cover all lines on the LU network. This would not only include the Rickmondsworth Curve, the Kennington Loop etc, but all usual lines in both directions in every combination, so every meter of publically accessable metal was covered. It became quite complex as a 'challenge', so may be a long term aim.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

doing baker street would be a nightmare, you'd have to arrive or depart from all 4 met line platforms!
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Zeibura wrote:doing baker street would be a nightmare, you'd have to arrive or depart from all 4 met line platforms!
Which isn't particularly difficult...Just means doing a few Baker Street - Finchley Road - Baker Street trips ;)

Moorgate would be worse, given Platforms 3 and 4 are rarely used.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, there ARE trains which use those platforms but you'd have to know which ones they were ...

Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Why not combining this challenge with the challenge someone came up with last spring - to cover all passages within all stations by foot as well... :shock:
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

PFW wrote:Some time ago I did ponder the idea of trying to cover all lines on the LU network. This would not only include the Rickmondsworth Curve, the Kennington Loop etc, but all usual lines in both directions in every combination, so every meter of publically accessable metal was covered. It became quite complex as a 'challenge', so may be a long term aim.
I've made a start on not so ridden parts of the tube. I've done the Kennington Loop, as well as Paddington (Bakerloo) and Hyde Park Corner (Piccadilly) crossovers.
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

Was the Kennington train in service or did you hide when told to change?