March R15

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: March R15

Post by tangy »

When did I say I prefered one particular day? I am available on all the Saturdays in March, but if i know in advance I won't book anything for the chosen date (e.g. a railtour)
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

greatkingrat wrote:Engineerings works for these dates affecting Z12 are

7th March - District closed Earls Court-Whitechapel, no Circle Line, Jubilee closed London Bridge-Stanmore, Northern closed Stockwell-Morden
21st March - Victoria line closed, Jubilee closed Green Park-Stratford
28th March - H&C closed Edgware Road-Hammersmith, Victoria line closed, Jubilee closed Green Park-Stratford.

This may or may not change anyones vote.
Looking at those the 7th has way too many engineering works with the whole of the bottom of the bottle cut off, also large chunk of the Jubilee line and part of the Northern. 21st has the least looking at that list especially considering that only Vauxhall, Brixton, Pimlico and Highbury & Islington on the Victoria will be left without alternative services and Southwark, Bermondsey, Canada Water, Canary Wharf and North Greenwich on the Jubilee.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Yes, it does seem that the 21st would be best engineering-wise... (though with the 7th having so many disruptions, it could make the contest rather interesting...)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

RichieG wrote:Yes, it does seem that the 21st would be best engineering-wise... (though with the 7th having so many disruptions, it could make the contest rather interesting...)
With that many disruptions on 7th March, I think it might make things more restrictive, and hence boring rather than interesting. However, I am obviously in favour of 21st March, and hence extremely biased in my assessment.

The closure of the Victoria line on 21st and 28th March could bring the Clapham gambit (my name for it, as I don't know if it has a name) into play. It seems as though 21st March allows for the biggest variation in possible routes, with a possible replacement for the Southern section of the Victoria line using Southern trains. I agree with the feeling that the closure of the Circle and part-closure of the District lines on 7th March is too much of a disruption.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

scrxisi wrote:28th is basically the same as the 21st, as the implication here is the Circle, District and Met will still allow travel to those H&C stations not served by the actual H&C...
Not quite the same as engineering works on the Hammersmith & City line on 28th March mean that stations between Hammersmith (Hammersmith & City) and Paddington (Hammersmith & City) will be unreachable, forcing you to use the District or Piccadilly lines to go West, or the No. 27 bus.

However, I see what you mean, although I have no desire to change my vote to a date I can't make it! Let's see what other people think...
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

7th looks like a complete nightmare. I know R15 is all about making the most of what you have etc. but the extent of the closures on the 7th means that all remaining open parts of the network will be incredibly busy with confused and numerous tourist types. It would mean interchanges will be hard to run through, trains will be busy and sweaty, and would just make the whole challenge less enjoyable for me.

21st and 28th both look good though.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

My preference would be the 28th, as I already need to be in London on the Sunday for work, but it looks like I'm already outvoted. (Bit of a pointless post, really...)
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

So have we decided the 21 March for this then?

May I suggest to celebrate the almost-25th Anniversary of 'This is Spinal Tap', (19 days late though) we start at Tufnell Park? (and no comments that we should make it an R16 instead... :twisted:)

(Yes, I did spend a lot of this evening trying to find a link of some sort between a Z1-2 station and the date of the challenge and that was the best I could find! It is also the 101st year and 8th month give or take a day of the opening of Tufnell Park...)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

OK The BERC Rules that the next round of the R15 Championship will be...... 21ST MARCH
Now you can all debate where you would like to start, one vote for Tufnell Park, anyone like to second that?
Given the overwhelming reasons that Richie gave you can hardly argue against Tufnell Park.
Or would you prefer the R15 generator to select the first station.
One day I shall return!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Tuffnell Park...Pity the Gospel Oak- Barking line station at that location (Junction Road) was abandoned years ago, as it would of been a doddle to get to for me! The Users Group for this line have been campaigning for years to get it re-opened, but no success so far!

Looks like a long winded way from Upper Holloway then!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Tufnell Park sounds good. So does random generator.

tangy, I think engineering works on 21 March put the GOBLIN out of service between South Tottenham to Barking, which may affect you if you're intending to use it to get to Upper Holloway. Check it out:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... 027070_TfL
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

I thought the idea was that we'd all meet at a specific station, and find out the other 14 from there. However, I know I'm probably wrong :)
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

In my defence, the only R15 I have attended had a manually selected starting point :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I am happy to either start at Tufnell Park or let the R15 determine a station.......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The problem with Tufnell Park is that unless Archway is selected, everyone will have to go south. I think it is more interesting when there are multiple options from the starting station.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver