Another Z1 challenge...

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

There are lots of aspects of this event that aren't as cosy as the "official" Zone 1 day.

My main problem is with the time. If you could make it one or two hours later, most of us would be able to get away with off-peak travelcards, there would be a lot less people around, and the post-peak delays that inevitably occur due to trains being withdrawn and problems being cleared up wouldn't affect us so much. Eleven AM would mean I can get a 0937 train from Chesham.

Other than that, must we really take a photo/log for EVERY station? I wouldn't have a problem with taking a minimum of maybe a dozen photos, but this is just a "fun" event - no World Records - so I don't see why we can't rely on trust as we did last time, which worked. Making up a decent time never even came into my mind, and I ended up in 15th place out of 16. Do I care? Only in that it's going to make me more determined next year!

As for the meet-up place, King's Cross is a little out of the center, but at least it's served by 6 out of the 10 lines we'll be using on the day (if you use ELL or Waterloo & City, something's gone wrong!). I'd like to have details of a pub booking so we can be sure of a drink and some lunch when the day is done.

I should still be able to come.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yes I dont want to "rain on your parade" tc, especially as I am not 100% with the 275 possibility in the pipeline next week.... :?

But I have to second everything Ollie said and would be much more likely to come under those circumstances, but hey look it's your event at the end of the day :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

yeah a bit later sounds good to me! 11am anyone?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

To be fair, it's up to the organiser to decide the time. I was making a comment/suggestion, but wasn't trying to impose a new time or anything. If 10am has been discussed and agreed upon, it's not up to us to change it - while the official Z1 day was democratic (polls on the forums about how it was run, etc), I get the feeling somebody has organised this by themselves and it would be unfair to make them change their plans.

Still, if tc wants to change the time, then that'd be good. No pressure though.
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

Half the issue why the time is how it is, is mainly because of timing issues surrounding my trip to Scotland the previous day. Seeing as I live in Bournemouth and will be returning that day after the challenge I can't personally organise any pub booking so if someone else would like to do that then it would be good. I'm personally underage for drinking so I don't think pubs would like a booking from me!!

I can move the time a bit if it suits others, 10.30 is good for me but I certainly couldn't do an 11am start as I have a train to catch home!

I'm quite happy to go to a pub at the end - it would need to be organised by someone else on that one though as I said above. Assuming I move it to 10.30, Root could just about get an offpeak travelcard. Basically, I'd like to start and be at the starting station by 11am for a start then, as assuming it takes 3 hours to get around, it'll be 2pm by then and the trains will start loading up for the return home for me (they leave at xx05 and xx35).

On the whole, I'll be happy to move the timings to 10.30 meetup, as you can (from Chesham) get an off-peak TC then.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

On a 0937 train - it'd be pushing it, but as long as you'd be prepared to wait maybe fifteen minutes at the starting location, I'd be much happier to do that.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

root - i can call ya when the name is drawn. hopefully its baker street (easy for ya then). 10.30 is great - thanks tc!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Off peak Hatton Cross at 0930 hrs, I should make Kings Cross by 1030 hrs guys :?:
Again on the assumption that I dont try the 275 next week... :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I'll be at Baker Street for 1033 if I take the 0937 out of Chesham, which would bring me to King's Cross for around 1040.

If you stick to your plan and start the challenge at 1100, I'll definitely be there on time, even if I can't make it to King's Cross. Pete, your offer sounds great.

How many people do you think will be coming, and do we have a register of attendance? And how about the photo/log issue? I mean, I've got a digital cam, so I should be able to take photos of all the stations, but I really can't be arsed...
tc
Zone 2

Post by tc »

Well I'm not sure I can make it right now as I have a family commitment, but the photo issue was mainly because I can't trust a few people on another forum who wanted to take part ... ;)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Errr, feeling a bit guilty now tc :oops:

I hope your not having second thoughts about this because of all our suggestions of different starting times :(

Like we said, this is your event in the first place :)

Also I dont think we need the hassle of booking anywhere really, how many maximum 10-12 :?:

We probably just need a teenager friendly bar/cafe/pub in Central London....
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I'm having trouble posting this as an URL, I think it's too long, you'll have to copy and paste!

Code: Select all

http://www.visitlondon.com/tubeguru/search?station=KING'S%20X%20ST%20PANCRAS&category=/recommended/pubs_bars
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

If tc can't make it, I'll be there, probably with Chelle, and we can do Zone One anyway. How about this: if TC can't make it, we all meet at 12 at OC and do a repeat of the "official" one, with a different starting station (obviously)?
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

I'm up for that CS, but still feeling a bit guilty over hijacking tc's event :oops:
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think this is what Anthony was proposing:

If TC can make it, then we meet at King's Cross at 1030.
If he can't make it, then we meet at Oxford Circus at 1200.

That way, we're accomodating him (this was his idea after all) if he can make it, but making it easier for the rest of us if he can't.

Who will be doing the honours of drawing names out of a hat and announcing results?