Latimer Road

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Username
Zone 1

Latimer Road

Post by Username »

What are the thoughts on Blackfriars and Latimer Road (closed westbound til August)?

I take it that going through Blackfriars is fine but that Latimer Road should be visited on an Eastbound train? Ir would it be alright to pass through Latimer Road westbound without stopping?
moley
Site Administrator

Re: Latimer Road

Post by moley »

Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency) will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.
So the rules are very clear for Blackfriars - a pass through is acceptable.

As for Latimer Road - the rules are not clear. The platform is closed for rebuilding so would seem to fit into the above scenario. However, you could alternatively take the other view that the station is open and therefore the other platform must be used.

When push comes to shove, is there a time saving - no there isn't. In fact sometimes it can be slower as the trains don't rush into the station, suddenly break and then depart again -- they crawl through at 5mph to allow the signal to clear.

I suspect that this will get further confused when Tottenham Court Road closes on the Northern line this summer. This is different because a whole line in both directions still serves the station so I would expect that you must stop on the Central line.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Surely the point is moot, as you are going to be going through Latimer Road on your way from either Paddington to Hammersmith or vice versa, so the issue of "missing" it doesn't come into play.

The question of whether missing Latimer Road counts would only apply if your route went from, say Paddington to Ladbroke Grove, at which point you got out and ran somewhere, and in the other direction went from Hammersmith to Wood Lane, where you got out and ran somewhere. I can't see any reason why anyone's route would want to deliberately avoid either Blackfriars or Latimer Road in such a manner to take advantage of the fact that you wouldn't have to visit it, unless Andi's come up with another amazing route ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:Surely the point is moot, as you are going to be going through Latimer Road on your way from either Paddington to Hammersmith or vice versa, so the issue of "missing" it doesn't come into play.

The question of whether missing Latimer Road counts would only apply if your route went from, say Paddington to Ladbroke Grove, at which point you got out and ran somewhere, and in the other direction went from Hammersmith to Wood Lane, where you got out and ran somewhere. I can't see any reason why anyone's route would want to deliberately avoid either Blackfriars or Latimer Road in such a manner to take advantage of the fact that you wouldn't have to visit it, unless Andi's come up with another amazing route ...
that would be telling wouldnt it :wink:
Username
Zone 1

Post by Username »

tubeguru wrote:Surely the point is moot, as you are going to be going through Latimer Road on your way from either Paddington to Hammersmith or vice versa, so the issue of "missing" it doesn't come into play.
I thought that the strictest interpretation of the rules were that you had to stop at every station. Based on the rules below. And though you could argue that Latimer Road is 'temporarily closed for rebuilding', it is possible to stop there so long as you're travelling eastbound.
It is necessary for a through train to stop at the station for the visit to count, although you do not need to get out. Certain stations are normally only open at certain times of the day, and this must be taken into account in your planning.

Attempts can only be made during the week as certain stations are shut at weekends. Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency) will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Username wrote:
I thought that the strictest interpretation of the rules were that you had to stop at every station. Based on the rules below. And though you could argue that Latimer Road is 'temporarily closed for rebuilding', it is possible to stop there so long as you're travelling eastbound.
It is necessary for a through train to stop at the station for the visit to count, although you do not need to get out. Certain stations are normally only open at certain times of the day, and this must be taken into account in your planning.

Attempts can only be made during the week as certain stations are shut at weekends. Only if a station is temporarily closed (e.g. for rebuilding, or in an emergency) will a non-stop pass through a station be acceptable.
If only one side is closed then it's a grey area. The easiest thing to do is wait until they've finished ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I seem to recall that Chiswick Park had this same scenario a couple of years ago and it was viewed that you should take a train in the direction that the platform was open as technically you can visit/stop there...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Latimer Road is now fully closed until late April so that solves that one!! :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Sam wrote:Latimer Road is now fully closed until late April so that solves that one!! :)
So much for TfL giving advance notice.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Latimer Road has now reopened west(/south)-bound only, but still remains shut east(/north)-bound. It is not due to fully reopen until the end of July. So anyone attempting a full network before the HSK - Edgware Road closure this summer will need to factor in the ambiguity about whether an eastbound pass through is acceptable. I don't particularly want to reopen the earlier debate, but my view is that on a strict interpretation a pass through should not be acceptable as it is possible to now get a train which does stop there.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Nigel wrote:my view is that on a strict interpretation a pass through should not be acceptable as it is possible to now get a train which does stop there.
That would be my view too.