A lazy Full Network Route

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Orange One
All Zones

A lazy Full Network Route

Post by The Orange One »

I don't know whether this would actually work out within the allotted day, but here it is (with Ken O done within the window):

Heathrow Terminal 4 :arrow: Heathrow Terminals 123 :arrow: Heathrow Terminal 5 :arrow: Barons Court :arrow: West Kensington :arrow: Kensington Olympia (28 bus) :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Cockfosters :arrow: High Barnet (384 bus) :arrow: Finchley Central :arrow: Mill Hill East :arrow: Morden (via Bank) :arrow: Wimbledon (93 bus) :arrow: Upminster :arrow: West Ham (c2c) :arrow: Stanmore :arrow: Edgware (142 bus) :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Woodford (via Hainault) :arrow: Epping :arrow: Leytonstone :arrow: Walthamstow Central (257 or W15 bus) :arrow: Brixton :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: North Acton :arrow: West Ruislip :arrow: Uxbridge (U1 bus) :arrow: Ealing Common :arrow: Turnham Green :arrow: Richmond :arrow: Hammersmith (D&P) :arrow: Hammersmith (H&C) (foot) :arrow: Paddington (Bak/Cir/Dis) :arrow: Marylebone :arrow: Harrow and Wealdstone :arrow: Harrow-on-the-Hill (140, 186, 258, 340 bus) :arrow: Preston Road :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: North Harrow (H10 bus or foot) :arrow: Watford :arrow: Moor Park :arrow: One of Chesham or Amersham :arrow: Chalfont and Latimer :arrow: The other of Chesham or Amersham.

Can anybody think of a lazier one?

EDIT: The inspiration for this route came from Sam Gunner, who during planning posed the question "When leaving Heathrow, is it better to change to the District at Acton Town or get as many stations done as possible by going all the way to Cockfosters?" This intrigued me as to whether a route that avoided all those pesky Zone 1 changes could actually work, whether a route where each line was ticked off one at a time could be the solution. A route minimising the devastating effects of tube delays and line closures.

Of course when routing it through Journey Planner, or to be more accurate, Google Maps, I discovered what I should have known all along, that it couldn't possibly compete with any sensible route - but it could be the answer for people with no clue as to how to begin.
Last edited by The Orange One on 10 Jun 2014, 10:18, edited 3 times in total.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
palkanetoijala31

Re: A lazy Full Network Route

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I can see the record being broken with this when you try it out :lol:
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Nah, I ran it through and it was 17 hours 45 minutes - and then I realised that I'd gone from Leytonstone to Bond Street without doing the Victoria or Bakerloo lines at all, so it will probably come out at around 19 hours.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Instead of getting a bus to Leytonstone High Road, you may as well get the bus all the way to Walthamstow Central. Instead of going North Ealing to West Acton on foot, it would be lazier to just double back from North Acton to Ealing Broadway.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Right, I shall update the route.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

It took me a while to realise that "Hammersmith (H&C) (foot) :arrow: Paddington (Bak/Cir/Dis)" meant going all the way around the Circle line. There must be a better way, even if you're being lazy.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Why not go from Rayners to North Harrow via Harrow on the Hill?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Because it's easier this way.
palkanetoijala31

i think getting the bus 28 from west ken to kensington oly is still quite a walk from the bus stop at ken oly and at west kensington better to go to earls court go over bridge west brompton go over bridge overground into ken oly xp and out
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:i think getting the bus 28 from west ken to kensington oly is still quite a walk from the bus stop at ken oly and at west kensington better to go to earls court go over bridge west brompton go over bridge overground into ken oly xp and out

when i did an attempt (not using this route or anything) recently, we tried to do high street ken to ken O on a bus...............safe to say it didn't work :? it ended up with a run instead of a bus, however its not as far as i thought although it caused us to miss one of the connections
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

The original Lazy Route was made to be as lazy as possible in the time available. It turns out it's not possible to complete it in a day, and had some pretty ridiculous connections between lines as well - here is something more doable (with the connections cleaned up a little).

Heathrow Terminal 4 :arrow: Heathrow Terminals 123 :arrow: Heathrow Terminal 5 :arrow: Barons Court :arrow: West Kensington :arrow: Kensington Olympia (28 bus OR on foot) :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Cockfosters :arrow: Oakwood :arrow: High Barnet (307 bus) :arrow: Finchley Central :arrow: Mill Hill East :arrow: Morden (via Bank) :arrow: Morden Road (93 bus or on foot) :arrow: Wimbledon (tram) :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: Farringdon (via south side of Circle) :arrow: Barking :arrow: Upminster :arrow: West Ham (c2c) :arrow: Stanmore :arrow: Canons Park :arrow: Edgware (79, 186 or 340 bus) :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Woodford (via Hainault) :arrow: Epping :arrow: Leytonstone :arrow: Leytonstone High Road (257 or W14 bus) :arrow: Walthamstow Queens Road (Overground) :arrow: Walthamstow Central (on foot) :arrow: Brixton :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: North Acton :arrow: West Ruislip :arrow: Uxbridge (U1 bus) :arrow: Ealing Common :arrow: Turnham Green (District) :arrow: Richmond :arrow: Hammersmith (D&P) :arrow: Hammersmith (H&C) (foot) :arrow: Euston Square :arrow: Great Portland Street :arrow: Regent's Park (foot) :arrow: Harrow and Wealdstone :arrow: Kenton :arrow: Northwick Park (on foot) :arrow: Preston Road :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: North Harrow (H10 bus or foot) :arrow: Watford :arrow: Moor Park :arrow: One of Chesham or Amersham :arrow: Chalfont and Latimer :arrow: The other of Chesham or Amersham.
nick468
Zone 1

Post by nick468 »

Hi,

Also worth mentioning, on my route on Friday, when I arrived at Morden station I took a bus down to South Merton station, and then took the FCC train to Wimbledon from there.

This connection can be a bit hit and miss as the train is only every 30 minutes, but it is a handy one if you can make it - it certainly seems quicker than getting the 93 bus.

Also, instead of doing Walthamstow Queen's Road, I stayed on the overground until Blackhorse Road and doubled back to Walthamstow Central. The time difference was negligible at best I think.

Nick
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Andi has a 'fat boy' route he did for me a couple years ago. Started at Upminster and finished Amersham
The King is back! Long live The King!
jimbob
Zone 1

Post by jimbob »

nick468 wrote:Hi,

Also worth mentioning, on my route on Friday, when I arrived at Morden station I took a bus down to South Merton station, and then took the FCC train to Wimbledon from there.

This connection can be a bit hit and miss as the train is only every 30 minutes, but it is a handy one if you can make it - it certainly seems quicker than getting the 93 bus.

Also, instead of doing Walthamstow Queen's Road, I stayed on the overground until Blackhorse Road and doubled back to Walthamstow Central. The time difference was negligible at best I think.

Nick
I agree with staying on to Blackhorse Rd, which I did successfully (slowly) in May. Very little in it timewise. And I don't think the exit off the E-bound platform into Edison Close/Exeter Rd is open currently?
James
palkanetoijala31

jimbob wrote:
nick468 wrote:Hi,

Nick
I agree with staying on to Blackhorse Rd, which I did successfully (slowly) in May. Very little in it timewise. And I don't think the exit off the E-bound platform into Edison Close/Exeter Rd is open currently?

it will be in a few days
James